Tuesday, August 26, 2014

New tastes

The office has a fruit basket, stocked up every week, to encourage us to eat healthy food and not get sick. (They also have a biscuit jar, which encourages quite different behaviours!) They get seasonal fruits in, and this week I have discovered two new things I have never tasted before.


These are noisettes, which I think means hazelnuts. I googled and have discovered a world of fine nuance between hazelnuts, cobnuts and filberts. I am not entirely sure which is which


I don't think I've ever seen a fresh hazelnut before, let alone tasted. They're the same size and shape as the brown things you find on chocolate cakes, but they taste totally different. They taste fresh, crunchy and almost juicy - the closest comparison I can think of is fresh peas eaten straight from the pod. Yum.


The other new taste for me is these. I wasn't sure what they were, tentatively nibbled, and YUM! It's slightly tart, and sweet, but gently sweet rather than overpoweringly. Lovely. It's a kind of small green plum - so I think it's a greengage. I've never had a greengage before. I'm a convert - I think I'll get some for my fruit salad. Anyone have any experience of greengage jam?

1 comment:

  1. Greengages are lovely! Just treat them the same as plums for jam (or anything)
    Have a look on Pinterest for vanilla plum crumble bars (shortbread base, plum/greengage paste middle and crumble topping) IRRESISTABLE! There are some specific greengage jam recipes, but any plum jam recipe will do :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...