Sunday, April 20, 2014

The crafty home

This post is part of a series on homes that inspire me, as part of mulling over what my dream house looks like and to help motivate gmy declutterin. Part One | Part Two | Part Three | Part Four | Part Five

This home is rather different from the others I've blogged about. It's not an example of small-space living or building your home from scratch, but rather of making a space utterly your own. (Warning: this is quite a picture-heavy post.)


Hannah is a professional stylist/design/generally creative person, which is blindingly obvious as soon as you land on her blog. She made the (I think) very brave decision to become a mother at what is now a relatively young age (though as my boyfriend's grandmother likes to remind me, for previous generations having kids in your mid twenties was already late, hint hint hint...). She left the world of steady employment and is now making a career as a freelance writer/styler/generally creative person.



What I love about these pictures is how an already beautiful space becomes totally alive, thanks to the simple, personal and often seasonal touches she uses. Some of the things I love, some are less my style, many I would never think of in the first place, but she has made her home a space that speaks very warmly of her, her life and her imagination. I am increasingly aware that my home is rather impersonal in some ways - I have all these ideas and never really have the time/discipline/competence/courage to implement them. Hannah's blog is gradually giving me the courage to make some bolder moves in my home.

 Source: seedsandstitches


The same space evolves through the year - all the photos below are of the same kitchen table through the seasons:

 Source: seedsandstitches


 Source: seedsandstitches



I love that's both simple and chaotic, colourful and calming, and above all - unpredictable. This is not a home you could pick out of a catalogue, it's been pieced together like a patchwork quilt, with colours and patterns that my brain tells me don't go together while my eyes point out that this is quite evidently not true.


Definitely food for thought. Plus she's given me some fabulous ideas for homemade birthday and Christmas gifts.

Pictures from http://seedsandstitches.com/ used by kind permission.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the link but was surprised that you think 26 is young to have a child! Although my own first child wasn't planned at 19, that daughter's first child at 24 was very much planned and she'd been married since she was 22 (and also has a career); our second daughter married at 19 but doesn't want kids, yet (at 23/24, they're living abroad), although she hasn't got a career. My mother was 23 when she had me, my MIL was 22 when she had my husband and he became a father at 24… maybe we are all just earlybirds in our family!! And I have to say I don't envy my friends and schoolmates who didn't have babies till their late 30s or even 40s - a granny at 43, I am delighted to send my grandkids home when I've had enough LOL
    There are arguments for having kids early or late, and it's not a one-size-fits-all, I know, but I think we (5 living generations) are happy we had ours early…!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely words!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...