Saturday, February 8, 2014

Simple living songs

Continuing my music theme from yesterday, I thought I'd share one of my favourite songs which is very much in line with the simple living philosophy. It's by Chris Wood, an English folk artist who is not nearly as well known as he deserves to be. English folk music has often been the music of commentary or protest, a response to the changing modern world, an ordinary man's view of great events, and Chris Wood writes and performs songs very much in this strain.

He's written songs about the financial crisis, evolution, the death of Jean Charles de Menezes, and love songs about couples in retirement. They're all beautiful melodies and thoughtful lyrics, so I would very much like to share as several of them are on simple living themes. Take a trip also over to his website - his latest album is available for purchase and download directly from his website, and his music is also on Deezer. (I'm afraid I don't know about Spotify.)

One of my favourites is called 'The Grand Correction' and includes lines such as 'the backgarden's planted with spuds from fence to fence', which always makes me think of that BBC series The Good Life.


Another is about a refusal to sell a rural home to city folk looking for a retirement house - probably his best known, and I think it's beautiful. It's called 'The Cottager's Reply'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...