Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hubble bubble...

How's this for kitchen witchery?


Today I made marmalade for the first time. Not sure how well it has come out - I tasted the teaspoonful on the saucer when I tested for setting point, and it was very bitter so perhaps less pith and more sugar next time...



I love using old recipes - it's another form of heritage that is often lost, with so many recipes available elsewhere. And while overall that means quick, easy, healthy and good food, it means that we lose some of the diversity that comes with different methods. The recipe for this marmalade is my great-aunt's, recently shared with me by my father. I enjoyed making the marmalade because as I did so, I thought of my Aunty Moy making marmalade to the same recipe.

The prospect of making marmalade had been a bit daunting, since my father made me a gift of a bag of Seville oranges some months ago (they've been in the freezer), but I found the process much simpler and more straightforward than I expected and I'll definitely have a go next year too. For a gentle Sunday afternoon occupation, it definitely beats playing Freecell or watching tv...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...